Have you ever wondered about chakras? It’s kind of a cool concept and can help you process things and deal with life a bit better when you understand and heal any chakras that might be out of balance.
Chakras are the centers in our bodies in which energy flows through. Both you and your horse have chakras. We share 7 chakras but animals have an additional one that we don’t have. Each chakra is associated with an Earth element and a color.
Chakras are the channels for the flow of Universal energy (Prana, Chi, Ki). This energy flows two ways; inward and out of the body. Therefore, every thought, act and emotion affects the chakras. Likewise, external stimuli, both positive and negative, have an effect on the chakras and leave their mark. This is the same for animals and humans alike.
Blocked energy in any of the chakras can contribute to pain, illness and influence mood so it’s important to understand what each chakra represents and what we can do to keep this energy flowing freely.
Horses share seven Major chakras with humans; Crown, Third Eye, Throat, Heart, Solar Plexus, Sacral and Root, but animals have another called the Brachial chakra. Another difference is that animal chakras are aligned horizontally instead of vertically.
The seven common chakras are:
- Root Chakra relates to our foundation and feeling of wellbeing and feeling grounded. It is located at the base of spine in the tailbone area. It deals with survival issues such as financial independence, money and food. Color: Red / Element: Earth
- Sacral Chakra relates to our connection and ability to accept others and new experiences. It relates to our ability to feel creative, sexual, and accept change. It is located in the lower abdomen, about two inches below the navel and two inches in. It deals with the sense of abundance, well-being, pleasure and sexuality. Color: Orange / Element: Water
- Solar Plexus Chakra relates to our ability to be confident and in control of our lives. It is located in the upper abdomen in the stomach area. It deals with the emotions of self-worth, self-confidence and self-esteem. Color: Yellow / Element: Fire
- Heart Chakra relates to our ability to love, the quality of our love, our past loves — and our future loves. It is located at the center of chest just above the heart. It deals with emotions of love, joy and inner peace. Color: Green / Element: Air
- Throat Chakra relates to our ability to communicate. It is located in the throat. It deals with our emotions of communication, self-expression of feelings and the truth. Color: Turquoise Blue / Element: Sound
- Third Eye Chakra relates to our ability to focus on and see the big picture. It is located on our forehead between the eyes (also called the Brow Chakra). It deals with the emotions of intuition, imagination, wisdom and the ability to think and make decisions. Color: Midnight Blue / Element: Light
- Crown Chakra is the highest chakra and relates to our ability to be fully connected spiritually. It is located on the very top of the head. It deals with the emotions of inner and outer beauty, our connection to spirituality and pure bliss. Color: Violet or white / Element: Thought.
The 8th chakra that humans don’t have but animals do is the Brachial chakra. It is located on either side of the body, in the area of the shoulders. It is the main energy center in all animals and links directly to all other chakras. It is the center which relates to animal-human interaction and any healing should always begin at this chakra.
At any given time a chakra (energy) can be blocked and out of balance. The chakra will need healing. There are many ways to do this but here is a quick guide to get you started.
Ways to Heal The Root Chakra: (Color: Red / Element: Earth)
- Walk around barefoot as much as you can
- Eat red foods such as strawberries, tomatoes, red peppers (capsicums), beetroot and add spices to your diet
- Set up a savings plan if you’re worried about finances
- Dance like nobody’s watching (be sure to move your hips!)
- Visualize red pouring into the area around your root chakra
Essential Oils: Cedar, Clove, Myrrh
Ways to Heal The Sacral Chakra: (Color: Orange / Element: Water)
- Eat orange-colored foods, such as carrots, oranges and capsicums
- Be gentle and kind to yourself
- Have a long bath with lots of bath oil and candles
- Watch some romantic movies
- Celebrate the little achievements in life
- Visualize orange pouring into this chakra
Essential Oils: Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang
Ways to Heal The Solar Plexus Chakra: (Color: Yellow / Element: Fire)
- Get outside into the sun
- Eat yellow foods, such as corn
- Drink camomile tea
- Be aware of who you spend time with (make sure they love and appreciate you)
- Catch yourself if you talk about yourself badly
- Visualize yellow pouring into this chakra
Essential Oils: Camomile, lemon
Ways to Heal The Heart Chakra: (Color: Green / Element: Air)
- Schedule in regular time to do something you love, just for you, and commit to it- don’t make excuses!
- Listen and speak to others with an open heart; be generous and loving
- Follow your dreams and desires
- Eat green foods, such as leafy greens, green apples and avocados; drink green tea and green smoothies/juices
- Visualize green pouring into this chakra
Essential Oils: Rose, Bergamot
Ways to Heal The Throat Chakra: (Color: Turquoise Blue / Element:Sound)
- Sing wherever and whenever you can- in the shower, in your car, while you’re grooming your horse!
- Be open and honest with those around you
- Say ‘no’ kindly, but firmly
- Shine love onto authority figures you have trouble speaking with
- Visualize blue pouring into this chakra
Essential Oils: Lavender, Sage, Neroli
Ways to Heal The Third Eye Chakra:: (Color: Midnight Blue / Element: Light)
- Begin to listen more closely in to conversations- are there any hidden messages?
- Try to feeling the energetic vibration of those around you- are they feeling positive or negative?
- Praise yourself every time you intuit something and guess it right
- Visualize indigo pouring into this chakra
Essential Oils: Jasmine, Vetiver, Patchouli, Basil, Rosemary
Ways to Heal The Crown Chakra: ( Color: Violet or white / Element: Thought)
- Read inspirational bookson a daily basis
- Watch uplifting DVDs and audiobooks
- Be sure to include ‘quiet time’ into your daily routine
- Eat blueberries, grapes and purple foods
- Visualize violet pouring into this chakra
Essential Oils: Frankincense, olibanum
The unique 8th chakra in the horse, the Brachial chakra, can be healed with increase loving contact with humans using positive affirmations and healing hands such as massage and or Reiki if it will allow. You can also spend time in nature with the animal just sitting quietly with no agenda except sending love.
Some people might want to say that chakras are “too hippie” to embrace but I say I’ll take all the information (and help) I can get to live a happy, horsey, healthy life!
If you would like to buy a digital download of this article for .99 click here
Peace and good riding,